samedi 23 janvier 2010

Just Like a Woman


After being heartbroken that Charlotte Gainsbourg's show in NYC were completely sold out, I decided to take a trip to Philadelphia to see her there 2 days before. Thought it'd be a nice getaway from New York before school started up again. The trip to Philly turned out to be way better than I'd ever thought.

There was a lot of inspiring historical architecture and landmarks there. Something about the well-maintained old buildings and perfectly-groomed courtyards were very welcoming. I was lucky enough to catch her show at the Theater of the Living Arts in the Independence District. The venue was very close to my hotel and that area was clean, safe, beautiful with courtyards and cobblestone roads and townhouses galore. It was easy to navigate and I even took the subway there.

15th St. and Market St.:
The Theater of the Living Arts was located on South St., a busy street with tons of pubs and bars and brightly lit restaurants and shops. Even though it was late, there were a lot of young people walking about and having a good time out.

The crowd there was almost all French, ranging from older to young kiddos. I got to sit front row center stage (less than 10 feet away from stage). Charlotte was so humble and great and sweet and of course breathtakingly beautiful. She seemed really excited to be there in her first mini-tour. The band was incredible; they were all multi-instrument-proficient and spot on from her recordings. She played 3 shows in New York and 1 in Philly. They performed almost all of IRM (due out next Tuesday) and some from 5:55 and "Just Like a Woman" (co-written with Calexico) from the movie "I'm Not There":The next morning I took a little stroll around the hotel area since I didn't get to see the neighborhood in all its glory in the daylight:
Near the bus station by 30th St. and Market. Think this was the post office/Amtrak station/something else historical:I'm sad that the trip was so short, but I already look forward to my next trip there. Next time I'd like to actually dilly dally in the grass there, visit museums, drink/eat at the really attractive restaurants, etc. etc.

Aucun commentaire: