lundi 9 juillet 2007

Epiphany on the Ferry

Friday morning I took the Hamptons Charter Bus through Long Island to the shore. This was, by far, the most beautiful ride I've ever had. The sky was clear and sunny and there wasn't much traffic. We passed the countryside where many farms and crops were grown; I saw miles down the farms from the road. There were wineries every quarter mile, local country houses, tractors, grass, etc. etc. Then I got to Greenport to take the ferry to Shelter Island. Walked past the docks and the sailboats and more sailboats. It was at the departing moment on the ferry when I decided that I wanted to live around these parts with my own sailboat(s).

Shelter Island was of course, wonderfully pleasant. Small beaches, horse barns, lots of trees and grass and local stores. Lots of very rich people who spend millions of dollars on their Shelter Island beach houses just so they can come every weekend from their gorgeous Manhattan apartments. The island reminded me a bit of Rhode Island.

The mom is publicist and production manager and the dad is a designer for Ralph Lauren. Their house looked like it came straight out of the pages of like, Hampton's Ralph Lauren Homes. (It quite possibly did, with all the interior designs magazine lying around.) The house was beautiful.

Jasper, boy, is 4 years old and Francesca, girl, is 2 years old (terrible two's!). It took some time to break the ice with them but I'm working on it!!

I fell in love with the family after horseback-riding, going to the beach everyday, etc. etc.

It was a hectic weekend, but worth it all in the end.

OK Tiffany is blogging about her travels around the world and children in Cambodia and here I am, thinking Shelter Island and Ralph Lauren are grand.

Aucun commentaire: