samedi 2 juin 2007

First Blog/Carolina Parra

In good spirits for the first, mostly music-oriented and personal, blog entry:

Last night was the Cansei de Ser Sexy concert at Irving Plaza. For those of you unfamiliar with the Brazilian electro-pop/rock band, GO 'GIT and listen to some of their music. I swear it'll make you wanna flail your arms in the air and wiggle around like you jus' don' care.
They opened for Ladytron during their tour last year and I fell in love with them ever since Lovefoxxx kicked off the show with choreography and energy reminiscent of little children. Adriano, Luiza Sa, Ana, Ira and Carolina played along with enough energy to electrocute the entire eager and hungry audience rocking with their beeps, thrashing drums and buzzing guitars.
I didn't even have tothink about buying tickets for their return at Irving Plaza; I knew CSS would put on a show fun enough to leave their audience thinking about the great time they had the night of June 1st for weeks.

The opening group was Yo Majesty, a rap group composed of three black lesbians who looked like they came straight from New York City in the 80's. Eventually the well-fed, dreadlocked rapper/singer stripped off her multi-colored neon palm trees t-shirt and baggy jeans to shake and jiggle all over the stage in boxers while the two others continued to shout "Fuck 'dis SHIT" at all the CSS fans. They had good energy but their music wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

After their set ended and Cansei de Ser Sexy's equipment was FINALLY set up (at apprx. 10:00PM), Lovefoxxx came out in a fully-sequined rainbow body suit (YESS!). It drove everyone absolutely crazy and the crowd started to push toward the center front, where Trey and I were squished up against the fence before the stage. Carolina's bangs hung over her face as she was bent over, furiously picking at her guitar; I was absolutely in love with her. Still am.

When they played "Off the Hook" I found myself screaming the lyrics with everyone else and wishing with all my heart, for Nicky to be there.

They had bubble guns, water bottles, towels, drumsticks, giant vibrators and vegetables to freely throw out to the crowd. Lovefoxxx even threw herself into the crowd twice before security had to rescue her from dozens of grabbing hands. The front row, which included Trey and me, had to push against the fence to keep from being suffocated by the aggressive crowd behind them. I've never been groped, grabbed, jumped on and humped by so many people, ESPECIALLY when they played "Let's Make Love and Listen to Death from Above." GAD it was absolutely insane! All of CSS's friends and Yo Majesty came out to dance and rock with them on stage during the final few songs.
Here's the best part: toward the end, Ana held up the second hot pink, rather large, vibrator, offering it to the crowd. Of course I was so crazed and into the scene that I reached my hand out and Ana looked at me like "YOU want it?" and gave it to me! Now I have a vibrator from Babeland, gifted by Ana, too large for me to know what to do with. The show ended around 11:45PM and Trey and I left drenched in sweat and feeling like we just won a billion dollars.

Sigh. What a wonderful, wonderful band. I'm already looking forward to their return. There were a bunch of photographers and one cameraman so pictures/videos will be posted as soon as I find them online somewhere.

Next Show: 06/29 Snowden with Ra Ra Riot at South Street Seaport.

Aucun commentaire: