vendredi 31 août 2007

Sorry Been a Little M.I.A.


I'm a big fan of M.I.A.'s new album, Kala. It's not as one-track as her previous album, Arular, but contains Bollywood, hip-hop, and electronic influences in addition to her tribal drum beats and almost monotonous chanting of politically fueled lyrics. Featured guests of Kala include rapper Timbaland, as well as the talented kids of The Wilcannia Mob.

She opens the album with "Bamboo Banga," telling her listeners that "M.I.A. comin' back with power POWER." "Boyz" is driven steadily by heavy hitting drums, tambourines, a Bollywood singer's track and audience cheers. "Mango Pick Down River" opens with Kenyan horns which provide the steady vibration for The Wilcannia Mob and M.I.A.'s rapping of poverty and survival skills. "XR2" is a loud track of repetitive trumpet sequences, high octaves followed by a low. The bridge contains a toned down bar before a steadily increasing trumpet brings back the catchy trumpet sequence to finish the final chorus of the track.

Go listen, really. M.I.A. is performing at a new Brooklyn Bowery presented venue called "Termial 5." Judging by the lineup of Terminal 5, it seems to be a pretty big deal. The National will their first guests, followed by M.I.A., The Decemberists, The Shins, and Justice. Too bad I missed out on M.I.A.'s show since tickets were sold out within the first day or two.

Today will be another day of waiting for the cable guy. I'm expecting him at 4:00PM since the appointment is for 10:00AM-2:00PM.

Nicky's here (thank goodness). She's been here for about a week and we really haven't done much this past week. We attended the useless fashion majors orientation Wednesday and it truly was the biggest waste of 5 hours. We got to see some fellow classmates but I realized that a lot of the cool people I knew last year were of other majors. I also realized I don't know 90% of the other fashion majors or what to expect from this year.

Tonight I'll be going to Shelter Island with Nicky for the last time this year. Will be back Sunday!

Aucun commentaire: